I fell in love with the song
"How Can I Keep From Singing?" the very first time I heard it.
The tune is beautiful, the words are meaningful, and the harmonies blend
magnificently. I've been pondering on it for a while now, singing it to
myself often after I decided to use the first line as a wall hanging above my
piano.
Often I think of the title as a moment of rejoicing; it
reminds me of Psalms 8:3:
When I consider the heavens, the works of thy fingers....
Or the words to "How Great Thou Art". We're
told in the scriptures that singing is a form of praise, and the title of the
song seems to suggest that we should always be ready to sing praises of
happiness. Well, technically we should. But it's hard. And
then I really read through the words, and I realized that isn't necessarily the
message. Our life isn’t the same song; the music will be different
depending on our moods, our situations, our trials, our triumphs.
My life flows on in endless song;
I was on vacation last week in the mountains along the New
River. Rocking slowly, sheltered by a wrap-around porch, my whole body
seemed in tune with the natural symphony around me. Crickets chirped in
cadence with the sweet chaos of unique bird song, the river rushed against the
rocks, and cicadas buzzed intermittently in a slow sforzando. The song of
that moment was overwhelming peaceful, the kind of peaceful that you want to
capture in a bottle and be able to open at will.
Above earth's lamentation,
But here, in the second line of the song, the lyricist
acknowledges the fact that life is hard. The world can be a terrible
place.
I hear the sweet, tho' far-off hymn
That hails a new creation;
And often the music of our life has stopped being a hymn,
has become a discordant mess that pushes the Spirit away, and then we can hear,
if we are silent, still, and listen closely, that there is a hymn back
there. We can hear the hymn of the Gospel; and it is the sweetest, most
reassuring sound we can imagine.
Thro' all the tumult and the strife
I hear the music ringing;
I am reminded of “Silent Night” wafting over Flanders during
World War I in German and English, and of the personal motivational songs we
cling to, trying to overpower our bad moments.
It finds an echo in my soul—
How can I keep from singing?
What a tender expression! Our souls, longing for an
unknown song we want to sing, resonate with music meant just for us.
What tho' my joys and comforts die?
The Lord my Saviour liveth;
What tho' the darkness gather round?
Songs in the night he giveth.
I felt this last night, as I tossed and turned until almost
3 am. Exhausted, uncomfortable, stressed about the next day, it was a
minor setback in my life. But in the moment it seemed interminable.
And I was going to let it ruin my sabbath. In this case I used an actual
song and turned Bing Crosby singing Irish Lullaby on repeat.
No storm can shake my inmost calm
While to that refuge clinging;
I picture Peter on the water, panicking as the sea rose
around him, the Lord reaching out to him. Peter is my favorite apostle
because he was so human. He is the example of what so many of us would
do, and I vividly imagine crushing waves and thunder piercing his faith to the
point his inmost calm is gone, his only refuge the Savior. How often do
we allow our inmost calm to be shaken? Maybe if we can better recognize
the endless songs in our life that refuge will be easier to cling to.
Since Christ is Lord of heaven and earth,
How can I keep from singing?
I lift my eyes; the cloud grows thin;
I see the blue above it;
And day by day this pathway smooths,
Since first I learned to love it,
The peace of Christ makes fresh my heart,
A fountain ever springing;
My heart swells even recalling this phrase, and tears prick
my eyes. In my favorite version of this piece this line is four part
women’s harmony, and for a moment I can fathom the everlasting serenity that
our Savior can provide.
All things are mine since I am his—
How can I keep from singing?
I love this ending, as it encompasses our role in the
eternities, and the covenant we have entered into that as his children we can
inherit all that is his, if we live worthy.
I am a daughter of my Heavenly Father, who loves me and I
love him. With the wonders of the world around me day to day, I need but
look for them, seek them out.
Since Christ is Lord of Heaven and Earth, How Can I Keep
From Singing?
No comments:
Post a Comment