I'm going to choose my words carefully today, but I feel more impressed to write a post than I have in a long time.
I see in social media, day in and day out, posts for moms, tips moms, love for moms. Well, this applies to everyone, male and female, father and mother, the single, the childless. But this is in direct response the Mom who Wouldn't sing. I use wouldn't for a reason; refused seems too strong, but didn't isn't the right word. Because she could have, and chose not to.
So here's what I want to say to you, the Mom on the stage in church to give a talk and, and sat stone faced during each song.
I saw you up there, with your husband, baby safe in the care loved ones in the congregation. During the opening hymn, I wondered if you were nervous, understandably, or if you were waiting for your husband to open the book. Now I didn't watch you the whole time, so forgive me if I missed your participation, but you were right behind the sign language interpreters and I couldn't help but notice your countenance during the songs. I realize that we have been singing some unfamiliar songs recently, but these songs didn't fall in that category.
For some reason this bothered me more than usual, and I think it was because I was so disappointed.
Do you know what you missed out on?
Sure, your baby is young, but are you really setting the best example? I'm sure it can often be hard for moms to look at a hymnal with busy children, but that wasn't the case today, was it?
Your husband was sitting right next to you, and you were both physically burden-less. What a wonderful opportunity to share hymnal and praise God together.
You may have been nervous, but did you know that the breathing you do when you sing, through your diaphragm, helps lower your heart rate? Not to mention the words in the hymns are written to bring the Spirit closer to you.
Maybe you aren't comfortable singing, feel your voice isn't good enough. Well, the scriptures say to make a joyful noise. Besides, you're a returned missionary, and I know you know to sing.
Either way, reading and mouthing the words is also an option, and you clearly did neither.
Ultimately, this only impacts you and your baby, and I just need to move on, but as a musician, and as a child of God I encourage you to participate in the whole worship service, which includes singing praises to Him.
No comments:
Post a Comment